Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thing 7 - "Completed"

I read all there was to read, as well as watched the videos. E-mail has become a functional requirement at the library. It is used to plan, execute and communicate activities with fellow staff, outside contacts, PR points, vendors, and occassionally, patrons. While we have an online website, I'm not sure how much the community relys on it, and, if we could change that if we publicized it. Our library is a small community library, so we don't have a huge volume of reference questions - most calls are to renew books, and the patrons call because they would rather do so than be online. I, personally, don't use IM at all, and rarely text - I find both intrusive. I think it's a personality thing. While I see how the libraries adapt and use instant messaging, I just don't see it being widely used here. I browsed the Webinars and didn't actually attend one as the timing is off for me. I certainly understand the value and will try to attend one in the future. I think, while the convenience is understandable, it is also easy to not find time as it doesn't seem as formal as a regular training.

No comments: